Friday, September 21, 2012

"If We Were a Movie"

I just caught up with last night's AWKWARD season finale and as always, it left an empty hole in my heart lol. No but seriously, I don't think I can wait till next season. It feels like next year is a lifetime away. But undoubtedly I'll be here waiting when that time of year rolls back around. Sometimes I feel a little self pity when I watch scripted teen dramas because they always make me want to live that characters' life. Whether it be that I have their wardrobe like Teddy Duncan from Disney's Good Luck Charlie, or maybe even Hannah Montana's double life (and for all of you wondering, yes, I still watch the Disney Channel). I just always seem to wish I was them. Even if the troubles that they go through are things that I have no idea how I would deal with, I always wish that it was me living them. Maybe I envy that they are actors or something but of course the reason why I desire such things are because those programs are designed to appeal to me. They were made for me to want to be these people but more importantly, for me to sit there and watch them.

And that got me thinking about what I would do if life really was like a television series. Would I react the same way? Would I have the same witty timing? I doubt it, but of course I think we've all been programed to know how to handle these situations. Not to toot my own horn, but I come up pretty good alternatives (and I don't know if I should count that as a good thing). I feel like, no, I know the media (whether we want to admit if or not) shapes at least some part of the people we are. Specifically us girls. The media tells us what to want, when to want it, how tall it must be and with how much flip in  the hair, what color it should come in and which names we should spend our money on. Which if you ask me, is pure madness. Society controls our life and again, even if we don't want to admit it, we are totally defenseless.

When it comes to life we all wish for these unrealistic happy endings that won't ever come true. So excuse me for not wanting to be a Cinderella anymore and wanting more to be my own knight in shinning armor. Like the kickass princess every girl should believe she is. Instead of wallowing in my misery or waiting for magic (that doesn't exist) to fix my problems and fight my battles, I want to be the one who comes up with my own solutions and learns my own lessons. Just like Merida from Brave she basically validates everything I just said. She tries using magic (fail) and then needs to use her own courage and strength to overcome her difficulties. And not to mention she had no time for a prince, especially since the ones she had to choose from where so not on her level. And that's exactly how boys are these days. They just don't make them like the did in Cinderella's time. And so you're forced to take matters into your own hands. And that is something I respect.

Well that was a mouthful.

All I wanted to do was talk about Awkward and here I am rallying troops for society's view on women. Well let me be a martyr for my own cause. All I know is that I can't wait till I can deliberately waste my life away watching a life I would've loved to live, corny jokes and horrible timing included. By the way, I think if I was an Awkward character I would be Tamara, off the walls at times and living in her own world, but at the end of the day always a great listener and an honest friend. But, what do I know anyway. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment