Friday, August 24, 2012

I am Jenna

I'll admit, with absolutely no shame. Yes, I've been kind of obsessed with MTV's new series "AWKWARD." It is literally the most keen and sensible reenactment of stereotypical teenage life in America that I have ever seen. Although the situations and events that happen in the show are written to connect with a specific demographic (so maybe my opinion is a little bias) I feel like it really is a good show. It evokes all types of emotions and keeps me on the edge of my seat. The show follows the life of Jenna Hamilton, an essentially invisible girl at her school, until an accident that looks like a failed suicide attempt lands her a spot on the freak radar. She then is sent a letter from an anonymous "friend" that composed a list that challenges Jenna's identity and how she thinks of herself. It also of course, follows her love life, if that's what you can call it. Before the shows storyline (the summer before the school year) she hooks up with the schools hottest jock, Matty McKibben who then pursues a secret relationship with Jenna. Which she eventually gets tired of hiding and ends their affair at the end of the first season. She then later enters a relationship with Matty's best friend Jake which is based on lies because Jake knows nothing about Matty's previous relationship with Jenna. And of course, the worst thing of all is that Matty still has unresolved feelings for Jenna that he forces himself to bury all so that Jake has a fair chance. (Sigh, wow, that was a mouthful). In the beginning I was all #TeamMatty because I thought he would pull through for Jenna and even when she went for Jake, I still felt that Matty and her just made a cuter couple.
 See?! But at this point in the game I have absolutely no idea what to think. And I know that pretty soon I'll be anxiously waiting the return of the series because I'm sure season two is almost over. And I hate when I miss an episode and MTV is all "video not currently available" when I try and catch up. Curse television!! It makes us all addicts and it does NOT help pay the bills. But I guess it's a little price we pay for entertainment. This was a complete tangent but I just felt very strongly to share this mini obsession of mine because maybe there are other fanatics out there who understand and if you are not one of us, then like they say; "if you can't beat them, join them."

No comments:

Post a Comment